Advertise on BikePortland

Bikes, art, and inspiration in my office

Posted by on October 30th, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Stencil_Tiago-11.jpg
Detail of Tiago’s painting.
(Full slideshow below)

A few weeks ago, I received an amazing gift. A friend of mine, Tiago DeJerk, completed an over life-sized stencil painting on one of the walls in my office.

If you’re a regular reader, you might remember Tiago. I’ve written about his paintings (he was Tiago Denczuk then), I took photos at his wedding on Mt. Tabor over the summer (which culminated with a glorious bike parade), and images of him dressed as “Pinga da Clown”, from his days as a clown at the Alberta Street Clown House, have graced many of my galleries over the years.

Lately, Tiago has been diving head-first into his art and exploring new mediums. One of his favorites is stenciling.

He worked for entire day to create this amazing stencil painting. Somehow, he kept straight a stack of individual stencil pieces that, when finished, created a perfectly unified, multi-layered and colored image. I had no idea stenciling could be done on such a large canvas (neither did Tiago, which is why he’s so psyched at how it turned out!).

And, completing the circle of inspiration (I know that sounds cheesy), Tiago’s images of a woman on a mini-bike and a silhouetted mountain-biker came from photos in my archives (see the originals here and here).

You can meet Tiago and see more of his work at BikeCraft III. For now, check out more photos of this magnificent painting and see Tiago in action in this slideshow:

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

Thanks Tiago!

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • tonyt October 30, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Ahhh, happy story.

• Bicycledave October 30, 2007 at 4:51 pm

Very cool. I\’m impressed at how it looks like she\’s riding right out of the wall and with just two colors!

Nice work Tiago.

• Dylan VanWeelden October 30, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Damn, that is hot. I want one in my office!

• Austin Ramsland October 30, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I have been in love with this one since I first saw it at City Hall:

Really great stuff.

• Jeff TB October 30, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Very cool indeed. Looks like Tiago had fun. Wish I had an ounce of his artistic talent.

I agree tonyt. Ahhh

• erin g. October 30, 2007 at 10:07 pm

That is truly fantastic, Jonathan! Does Tiago do smallish commission works? I collect affordable art by local artists and would love to add to my small but pretty kick-ass (if I do say so myself) collection! One of Tiago\’s works would go well with my Mona Superhero duct tape piece and Chris Haberman\’s mixed-media portrait of Iggy Pop.

Tiago- I little birdie told me that next summer\’s Toward Carfree Cities Conference might include an art show. Hmmm…

• Kirsty October 30, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Tiago – please come now and decorate the Portland Building. I don\’t know how much more beige I can stand tee hee! ;-)

Wonderful.

• rev October 31, 2007 at 3:06 am

that\’s no woman, that\’s my wife

• BURR October 31, 2007 at 8:48 am

when did you get married Phil?

• amanda October 31, 2007 at 9:12 am

Love it! Will he be selling or showing at the craft fair?

• madrone November 3, 2007 at 12:10 pm

Cool work, Tiago!!! Nice choice of office art, Jonathan.

• Tiago November 6, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Wow! I haven\’t been checking this site lately (busy!), and just found this out. I am so flattered! Thanks a lot for the props! Hope to see you guys at the Bike Craft, and talk about other possible projects… As Jon said, I am so psyched with the result, I want to do more of that!!!

• Mrs. DeJerk November 6, 2007 at 2:48 pm

yay! and THAT\’S my husband who painted YOUR WIFE! oh man, what a triangle we\’ve gotten ourselves into…

Tiago, you\’re so amazing.

love,