Join Commissioner Sam for breakfast on your bike

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on September 21st, 2007 at 9:16 am

bike to work day
See Sam cycle on Monday.
(Photo: Jonathan Maus)

City of Portland Transportation Commissioner (and possibly our future Mayor?!) Sam Adams wants you to join him for a special biker breakfast on Monday (9/24).

In the spirit of the Bike Commute Challenge (which they won in their category last year), Adams and his staff will set up a breakfast stop in North Portland on the corner of Vancouver and Russell from 7:30-9:00am.

Staffers say they're on track to retain their title, but they want more company out in the bike lanes.

To try and entice more of you to join them (and to congratulate those of you already bike commuting), they'll have free coffee (by Backbridge Coffee) and tasty treats (by Blue Gardenia Bakery).

Thanks Sam!

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Dabby September 21, 2007 at 9:50 am

Is there a working cyclist category in the Bike Commute challenge?
    If not, it should be immediately included.

See you at the breakfast......

• Joel September 21, 2007 at 9:56 am

The Bike Commute Challenge link is broken. It should be: http://www.bikecommutechallenge.com/oregon.

• Joel September 21, 2007 at 9:57 am

Apparently the \'.\' got included in the link. Wish I could edit my post...

http://www.bikecommutechallenge.com/oregon works.

• Selena Deckelmann September 21, 2007 at 10:43 am

Awesome. That\'s right on my commute. I\'ll be there!

• Michelle September 21, 2007 at 10:47 am

This is awesome! I may bike a few miles out of my way to score some treats....

Working cyclist category in the Challenge, that\'s a good idea.

• matt September 21, 2007 at 11:50 am

Birst the Bike Gallery copied SHIFT\'s longest-standing bike event, Breakfast on the Bridges...

Then Portland\'s future mayor copied it...

Awesome !!! Like they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Thanks for doing this Sam\'s staff! It\'s much appreciated.

• peder horner September 21, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Too bad my daily commute is so early. I\'m going to have to miss this in addition to breakfast on the Broadway bridge every month. ACK!

Way to go Sam.

• Carrie September 21, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Doh! The one day I have to commute down Interstate to go to a meeting!

• Tasha September 21, 2007 at 3:00 pm

Well well well. I normally don\'t take this route, and not this early, but free coffee and treats is always a reason for getting up early and changing ones route. :)

• Jessica Roberts September 21, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I love it! See you there...do I still get treats even if it isn\'t actually my commute route?

• Dee September 21, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Crap! I have Monday off. Is there a category for working cyclist that aren\'t working? Dabby would totally beat me, but at least I\'d get a muffin.

• Todd Boulanger September 22, 2007 at 5:18 am

I will be joining the fun to hand out the Cycling the Cities Bike Map (Vancouver & Portland) - this is a make up date since we missed our promised Breakfast on the Bridges dates during Pedal Palooza.

So you north bound - work in Vancouver bicyclists should divert over and stop by for a map and a snack.

It would also be good for Sam to see ALL the bike commuters who use this bike lane couplet...to be swamped with many of the ~2000 daily bike commuters who pass by!

• Dabby September 22, 2007 at 6:08 pm

I never said it was for me, Tweedle Dee...

• tim September 22, 2007 at 6:14 pm

rats. i\'ll be going through that intersection an hour before this begins. have a great time!

• Todd Boulanger September 24, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Thanks Backbridge Coffee and Blue Gardenia for the tasty treats this AM. (Man was it a cold ride today!)

• Curt Dewees September 24, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Did Councilor Adams show up this morning? I got there about 8 a.m., left 8:45 a.m., didn\'t see him.

Thanks to everyone who did show up for the coffee and coffee cake, etc. It was a crisp fall morning ride, but worth it!

• abberdab September 25, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Great coffee, thanks! :)

• Maggie September 25, 2007 at 11:58 pm

On my way to work on Monday, I was riding down Williams and I see these coffee cup drawings and \"free\". I had allowed enough time to bike downtown and get some coffee, which is my usual routine. However, free coffee for cyclists, fun! At least that\'s what I thought, until I pulled up and had a cup. Not a single person was nice to me. I tried to engage with people and give thanks for the free coffee and all I got was snobby faces, literally one woman looked me up and down, rolled her eyes and turned away. At first I thought that this might be a closed event. Then I remembered that it was bike to work day, and this was one of the perks. Bummer.
    Was I not wearing enough spandex? Is there a problem that I ride a track bike? I thought this was suppose to encourage people, not exlude them.
    Thanks again for the free coffee, although it kind of ruined my commute.