Road rage victim gets new bike from KGW viewer

Posted by on August 28th, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Timothy Mastne is featured in
a KGW video.
Click here to watch.

KGW reports that Timothy Mastne — one of two victims of a road rage incident earlier this month — got a new bike today.

KGW reporter Jane Smith says Mastne picked the bike up from River City Bicycles this morning. A Seattle couple wanted to buy the bike for Mastne after seeing KGW’s interview with him that was aired on August 19th.

According to KGW, Mastne’s road rash is nearly healed, but he still walks with a limp due to swollen legs. Here’s a quote from him that aired on TV today:

“Oh, I appreciate it! They’re in my heart now. I wish there were more people like that. They passed it on to me and I’ll pass it onto someone else if I get a chance.”

Watch the video and read the story on KGW.com (registration might be required).

*Please note that although KGW continues to report “a bicyclist kicked his car,” that remains merely a claim made by the driver Johnny Eschweiler. Police investigators have found no indication that his car was kicked. We discussed this in further detail in a previous post.

In other news about this case…I was present at the arraignment of the driver, Johnny Eschweiler today. He retained his not guilty plea to the charges of attempted assault in the first degree and assault in the first degree. I’m still awaiting details of the Grand Jury hearing last Friday and will report on that once documents become public.

You can read all my coverage of this incident here.

Comments
  • Bjorn August 28, 2007 at 4:57 pm

I just wrote the reporter an email, as during this story she again reported that the police said Ben kicked the car. The police have said that although the driver claimed that his car was kicked there is no evidence to support that, and Ben denies kicking the car. Anyone else who wants to know why she is reporting the accusations of someone would intentionally run someone down with their car as fact can contact her at jbsmith@kgw.com.

Bjorn

• Martha R August 28, 2007 at 6:30 pm

That\’s great news — what a nice gift! It\’s always nice to read about good things that people do. (I\’m referring to the couple who gave Mastne a bike, not the reporter who can\’t seem to cover a story objectively).

Here\’s hoping for a full and speedy recovery to both of the injured cyclists.

• true August 28, 2007 at 6:31 pm

I emailed the reporter as well. At first it seemed like an honest mistake (maybe), but if it has been corrected, I haven\’t seen it. I hope a little balance comes to further reporting – I really don\’t understand the motives for the press to further exaggerate the cyclist versus driver mentality, which really doesn\’t exist for most of us. Sheesh!

I\’m glad Mastne got a bike.

• true August 28, 2007 at 6:36 pm

motives for divisiveness – sell papers – get viewers – i know – it\’s just sad. so middle school. sheesh.

• toddistic August 28, 2007 at 9:24 pm

it kinda would have been tough in cheek humor in light of KGW mentioning that he wasnt wearing a helmet if in his video he wasnt wearing a helmet.

• derek August 29, 2007 at 12:47 am

This story does my heart good. We need more people like this

• BikingViking August 29, 2007 at 7:20 am

Any idea who the generous couple was? It would be nice if the bike community were able to thank them for their donation.

• Matt Picio August 29, 2007 at 9:03 am

\”as during this story she again reported that the police said Ben kicked the car\”

Remember, this is the same TV station that reported \”dozens of cyclists\” riding naked during the WNBR. KGW is *not* the hallmark of objective journalism, nor of accuracy or journalistic integrity.

• Kristen August 29, 2007 at 9:24 am

Ha! I\’m glad he got a new bike, the unnamed Seattle couple get extra good karma points.

The Ha! was for the reporter. I sent her an email last week constructively critisizing her article (i.e., it\’s not illegal for an adult to ride without a helmet; the law about riding as far to the right as possible; cyclists\’ right to the road and motorists\’ responsibilities, etc). I also pointed out that her statement about the cyclist kicking the car was misleading, as that\’s not what the cyclist and witnesses say.

I was professional, polite, and got absolutely zero response. It sounds like Ms Smith is not interested in reporting events accurately and impartially.

• tonyt August 29, 2007 at 9:53 am

Here\’s the contact page for kgw. Please be polite.

• jeff August 30, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Hey, nice work people!

I exchanged a few emails with KGW yesterday regarding the “bicyclist kicked his car” language as I\’m sure others did as well, and it looks like they made an update:

\”Police say the driver, Johnny Eschweiler, deliberately hit a different bicyclist who the driver claimed had kicked his car. The cyclist denies kicking the car. Police say Eschweiler then struck Mastne from behind.\”

Little late, but I applaud KGW for making the change. Go Bikeportland!