Tour de Fat rolls into town tomorrow

Posted by on August 17th, 2007 at 8:54 am

Tour de Fat '06
New Belgium’s Chris Winn at
last year’s Tour de Fat.
Slide show below
(Photo: Jonathan Maus)

This Saturday, New Belgium Brewery brings their eccentric brand of bike fun to Waterfront Park.

Their Tour de Fat is one of my favorite events of the year, and this time, it should be better than ever (and I’m not just saying that because they advertise with me).

In addition to their usually fun circus of freak bikes (the downtown parade is not to be missed), live music, and cold beer, this year the Sprockettes will take center stage. Yes, the ladies in pink have been touring with the Tour de Fat and this will be their homecoming performance.

We’ll also get to see Portlander Karla Betts take the carfree plunge. She took New Belgium’s offer to do a car-for-bike trade and she’ll be on stage to do the swap. (She’ll get a commuter bike made by Black Sheep Bikes.)

And did I mention the big, downtown bike parade that kicks it all off? And it’s also worthing noting that the event is a fundraiser for the BTA and PUMP (so drink up!).

Trust me, New Belgium knows how to throw a bike party. I’ll see you tomorrow (Saturday, 8/18) at 11am at Salmon Street Fountain.

But don’t take my word for it. See all the fun faces and freaky bikes that showed up last year in the slide show below…

Created with Admarket’s flickrSLiDR.

Comments
  • Paul Cone August 17, 2007 at 9:04 am

The ad in the Mercury says and the website confirms that Tour de Fat is Aug 18, 2007 — that would be tomorrow, Saturday.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 17, 2007 at 9:11 am

my mistake, my mistake. ouch. fixed it, thanks.

• mtmann August 17, 2007 at 9:17 am

My 13-year old wants to join me there tomorrow. I know they serve beer (duh) but is it kid friendly? (the event, not the beer!)

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 17, 2007 at 9:20 am

mtmann,

it\’s very kid-friendly! I had my 3 year-old there last year. She loved the performances (part vaudeville/magician, part music) and all the other eye candy.

definitely bring the little ones. this year both of my little ladies will be there…

• Disco D August 17, 2007 at 9:21 am

mtmann: I don\’t have kids or anything, but I have been to two TDF\’s and I would definitely say they are kid friendly.

• Elicia August 17, 2007 at 9:48 am

This event is so kid friendly that the BTA will be having a helmet-decorating booth.
    But, if you sweet talk us, we\’ll pretend you too are a 5 year old and deserving of a totally cool decorated helmet and perhaps a bike safety lesson thrown in.

-Elicia (bike safety teacher, Safer Routes to School and BTA)

• Ken August 17, 2007 at 10:06 am

I\’ve never been to a TDF before but am thinking about coming down there with my son. A few quick questions I had:

Is there fairly secure bike parking?

Are there food vendors there as well or just drinks?

Jonathan mentions the Salmon street fountain. Is this where the main action is, or is this where the parade starts?

How long do the festivities go on for?

Thanks in advance for any answers people can give me.

• Jonathan Maus (Editor) August 17, 2007 at 10:10 am

Is there fairly secure bike parking?
    –Depends on what you consider secure. I\’ve always just locked my bike along with the hundreds of others..using a beefy u-lock like I always do.

Are there food vendors there as well or just drinks?
    –Yes. We had pizza last time.

–This is where the parade starts. the main action is just south of the fountain.

How long do the festivities go on for?
    –till the beer runs out. just kidding. things go on until about 6 or so at least.

• Brian Goode August 17, 2007 at 10:24 am

I\’m bringing the wife and kid down to TDF from Olympia, WA.

Any thoughts about where to park and what time to get there?

• Paul August 17, 2007 at 10:27 am

It is also important to note that the event also generates support via Fat Tire for BTA and PUMA.

• Richard Wilson August 17, 2007 at 11:12 am

Brian – park for free across the river at the base of the Hawthorne Bridge and enjoy the walk (or bring your bikes and ride) over the bridge.