More details on new bike-friendly brew pub

Posted by on May 15th, 2007 at 1:29 am

Hopworks Urban Brewery plans non-alcoholic
drinks especially for cyclists. Photo: Dat Nguyen

A year ago, I mentioned a new brew pub in the works that planned to cater to “Portland’s two-wheeled cutlure.” Since then, Oregonian reporter John Foyston shared the news that it will be called Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) (2944 SE Powell Blvd) and it’s expected to open next month.

Now, more details about the pub’s bike-friendliness have emerged. A story on Guest on Tap has this bit on HUB’s brewmaster/owner, Christian Ettinger,

“In addition to the community-oriented environment… Ettinger will also focus his attention on another passion of his, bikes. He plans to sponsor bike teams, provide pressurized air on site and make available tubes, jerseys, energy bars, and even a special drink for bicyclists. The Radler will be a blend lemonade or lemon-lime soda and lager. “They can come by mid-ride instead of at the end of their ride. They’re also welcome at the end of their ride. We’ll have great bicycle parking. We want to see people coming in with their helmets through the door” says Ettinger, himself an avid cyclist. “Bikes are my thing and I love bikes as much as I love beer. Well, you could say I love bikes almost as much as I love beer.”

When I reported about this last year, some of you piped up about how the location wasn’t so hot for bikes (that part of Powell gets an estimated 50,000 cars per day). If you still feel that way, you can help make it better by getting involved with the Powell Boulevard Streetscape Plan process. There’s a final open house for the project coming up on May 23.

It’s great to hear about another bike and community-friendly business.

Good luck with the opening Christian, I’m sure you’ll see many helmet-toting customers!

Comments
  • Prettybikelover May 15, 2007 at 9:14 am

awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

• Attornatus_Oregonensis May 15, 2007 at 9:28 am

Mmmmm….beer.

• Jason Skelton May 15, 2007 at 9:39 am

Neato. Bars in Munich, Germany serve a drink of the same name and ingredients– Radler–, which I was told means “bicycle rider” or similar in German. They make fun of you for drinking a girlie drink, but it is very good and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

• Jessica Roberts May 15, 2007 at 10:04 am

Mmmm, radlers are koestlich (delicious)! Looking forward to it!

• peejay May 15, 2007 at 1:22 pm

In Britain we call that (sometimes mixed with a little ginger ale) a shandy. It’s a tasty drink, or I thought so before I liked beer so much; now, I’d rather have just beer.

If you can’t ride bikes and drink beer, why live in Portland?

• Attornatus_Oregonensis May 15, 2007 at 1:46 pm

“If you can’t ride bikes and drink beer, why live in Portland?”

Indeed. peejay, check the events forum.

• peejay May 15, 2007 at 2:09 pm

A_O:

I still owe you that beer. I’m at the Lab tonight, with my orange bike. Jump up and down this time, so I’ll notice you.

• Spokane May 16, 2007 at 11:36 am

Thanks for covering the developing brewery. I have heard many rumors, it is nice to hear what is going on.

• [...] bars is opening in Portland this summer. They’re also making a special drink for cyclists called The Radler, which is a blend of lemonade or lemon-lime soda and lager. Where I come from that’s called a [...]