Kryptonite launches marketing campaign in Portland

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on May 14th, 2007 at 10:45 pm

U-lock maker Kryptonite is looking to gain exposure in Portland.

They'll help run the bike valet at the upcoming Bicycle Film Festival, which rolls into Portland in September. In advance of that event, spokesperson Donna Tocci says they've already put up posters and decals (see samples below) around the city with their latest marketing slogans.

She says decals and posters (shown above) have been put up in front of VooDoo Donuts, River City Bicycles, Stumptown Coffee, Bike n' Hike and many other locations around the city with the slogans, "Feel free to stop: and then mock the cars that keep circling the block," and "Give your bike some alone time."

Another slogan in the campaign that will be featured on stickers near bike racks is, "If you love something set it free. If you love your bike leave it here."

Tocci says Kryptonite has another Portland announcement in the works, but details are not yet confirmed.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Todd B May 15, 2007 at 7:57 am

They have placed these posters up at the City Bikes Annex too.

• Todd of Vancouver May 15, 2007 at 8:05 am

I hope Kyrtonite never needs to issue a 'Portland' lock!

• Todd B May 15, 2007 at 8:05 am

I hope Kryptonite never needs to issue a ‘Portland’ lock!

• Cecil May 15, 2007 at 8:24 am

Kryptonite needs exposure?

• Matt Picio May 15, 2007 at 8:52 am

I was kind of wondering the same thing.

Is anyone out there *not* using a Kryptonite U-Lock? (I'm sure there are some, and I'd like to know what they're using and how they like it)

• WOBG May 15, 2007 at 9:35 am

I use a Bell u-lock from Bi-Mart. It was not subject to the Bic pen scare, and it's serious enough that a thief will pass it over and go look for something that's cable-locked (so far).

Of course it's crucial to use a bike that's not all that desireable--not a fixie, not carbon fiber, no fancy lugs, no loud brand-name decals, parts that just work well but are not rare or exotic, etc.

• N.I.K. May 15, 2007 at 9:45 am

Sure thing, Matt. :) I'm using an On-Guard Pitbull standard U-lock and an On-Guard BRUTE mini U-lock. I generally use the standard to lock through my back wheel, fender (I use SKS Raceblades and don't want them ripped off!) and rear triangle, while using the mini to lock my front wheel and fender to the frame. Far as I can tell, they work great...at least, I've never had them fail on me, never had anyone tamper with them or steal my bike. :) The keys seem to stick a bit when you first start using these models, but once you get in the habit of making sure you've got the key *all* of the way in before turning, it's quick and easy.

I got both of them when I was living in Chicago, about a year after the Kryptonite/Bic hysteria made the rounds. A bunch of shops weren't carrying Kryptonite locks for a good long while, presumably because of all the negative press. They're still not quite as ubiquitous as they once were, at least in terms of how common they are in shops. I think most people still probably think of Kryptonite as *the* brand of bicycle U-lock. Maybe Kryptonite should be hitting up the retailers they lost instead of running after consumers?

• Ken May 15, 2007 at 11:16 am

I just bought an OnGaurd Pitbull DT that has the U-lock and a cable for wrapping the wheels. REI was blowing out locks for 25% off so I picked it up. My bike is in the shop though so I havn't used it yet.

• Logan 5 May 15, 2007 at 12:04 pm

I guess "Tweaker Safe" would probably not have been the best marketing slogan.

I too have an On-Guard and I'm assuming it works as I still have my ride but it sure seems like the keys wear out fast. Luckily it came with a bunch of spares.

• just a question May 15, 2007 at 12:31 pm

I have heard that the Krytonite Corp. is own by Lockheen Martin or some company of this sort. Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

• Jonathan Maus / BikePortland May 15, 2007 at 12:37 pm

they're owned by ingersoll-rand.

• I use both Kryptonite and OnGuard locks -- I bought 2 OnGuards to use while I was waiting for my Kryptonite locks to go through the exchange program.

I like 'em both. The Kryptonite, if anything, seems a bit slimmer and lighter. I wouldn't say that I really have a preference for either, whichever one was less expensive would receive my recommendation.

I also use wheel hub/seatpost locks on three of the bikes in my fleet, and I have them all keyed to the same key. This way, I can lock any part of a bike's frame up, and the whole system (minus lights, fenders, etc.) is protected.

Highly recommended.

cheers,
    ~Garlynn

• Mike May 15, 2007 at 2:40 pm

YUCK, Ingersoll Rand!

• peejay May 15, 2007 at 3:32 pm

I use Kryptonite's New York style chain and round padlock. It's supposedly a monster to cut through, offers more flexibility than a u-lock (I can lock my bike to a tree or lamp post, for instance) and it was only $20 at REI a few years ago. I ride a couple of steal-me bikes, and nothing's happened yet.

Oh, and the best part: if any car is giving me grief on the roads, I pull the chain out of my bag and give it a few overhead swings. The car usually gives me no trouble after that.

• N.I.K. May 15, 2007 at 4:58 pm

I use Kryptonite’s New York style chain and round padlock. It’s supposedly a monster to cut through, offers more flexibility than a u-lock (I can lock my bike to a tree or lamp post, for instance) and it was only $20 at REI a few years ago. I ride a couple of steal-me bikes, and nothing’s happened yet.

Watch out for key bendy-ness with that padlock! My wife's New York chain lock was rendered useless when her key twisted and sheared-off inside the lock. Fortunately, it broke off before she managed to engage the lock and she was able to take her bike inside her place of employment (usually not allowed, but they were cool with it "just this once").

• N.I.K. May 15, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Watch out for key bendy-ness with that padlock! My wife’s New York chain lock was rendered useless when her key twisted and sheared-off inside the lock. Fortunately, it broke off before she managed to engage the lock and she was able to take her bike inside her place of employment (usually not allowed, but they were cool with it “just this once”).

• Donna Tocci May 18, 2007 at 9:46 am

I'm just a tad behind this week; Jonathan, thanks for the plug for all the things Kryptonite is doing around Portland.

We are launching our full rebranding efforts in select cities across the country and Portland was a city we wanted to have included. We all have a true affection for Portland and the cycling community there. We want to become even more a part of it - more than just posters. Jonathan is right - more coming from us soon....

Cecil and Matt - thanks for the giggle! I like the way you both think!

NIK - we're sorry about the key issue your wife had. We have a lifetime warranty on our products. Please do contact our customer service department about this right away.

Safe riding everyone!