Advertise on BikePortland

PDOT’s new bike map bandanna

Posted by on April 23rd, 2007 at 8:16 am

To kick off their SmartTrips Southeast campaign with a flair, PDOT has printed a city bike map onto a bandanna. No, I’m not kidding. See for yourself:

According to Dan Bower with the Transportation Options Division at PDOT (they run the SmartTrips program), these fashionable accessories will be one of the many swell gifts available to folks in the campaign target area.

No word yet on whether or not they will be made available to the public.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive. That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. If you see an inconsiderate or inappropriate comment, please contact us and we'll take a look at it right away. Thank you — Jonathan and Michael

• Attornatus_Oregonensis April 23, 2007 at 8:33 am

I need one of those.

• beth h April 23, 2007 at 8:37 am

Absolutely brilliant. They could sell them for a buck or two apiece and still make a killing.
    C’mon, guys! bring ’em on! I’ll totally wear one.

• Matt Picio April 23, 2007 at 9:05 am

Ditto – I want one. Or four.

• Scott Mizée April 23, 2007 at 9:06 am

I want one. Where are they?

Where did you see this one, Jonathan?

• Jonathan Maus April 23, 2007 at 9:10 am

This one is on my head right now!

The Options crew just got them in and I’m sure they’ll make them available once they’ve fulfilled all the requests from people in their SmartTrips Southeast target area.

Maybe someone from Options can chime in with more info….

• Scott Mizée April 23, 2007 at 9:29 am

I just called Options and left them a message. I told them that 4 different people had already made comments saying they would like to buy one. Unfortunately from his voice mail message, it sounds like he will not be in the office until Tuesday.

• Donna April 23, 2007 at 9:31 am

Make it 5 different people!

• Dan Bower April 23, 2007 at 9:46 am

Jonothan, you’re going to get me in trouble!
    Here’s the deal, these (sweet) bandanas are for residents in our SmartTrips Southeast target area only at this time, as Jonothan mentioned. They’ve proven to be quite popular so I’m not sure we’ll have too many left over at the end of this project.

That said, given their popularity I’d be surprised if we don’t re-print them and make them available to the people soon.

We’re under strict “no touchy” orders at this time, I can’t even get one for my wife!

Lastly, we have to give credit to Options’ Jeff Smith for coming up with the idea…he persevered his colleagues initial skepticism and delivered a great product (albeit a little late, jeff).

• Attornatus_Oregonensis April 23, 2007 at 9:53 am

Dan, I live in the zone! How do I get one?

• Hollisimo April 23, 2007 at 9:55 am

I live in Westmoreland, signed up for a bunch of SmartTrips literature (bike maps of all quadrants of the city, a walking map, an awesome coupon book for local businesses, schedules of events related to cycling– all delivered to my house by bike!) and a bandana. It was delivered this weekend and is quite cool.

SmartTrips is a great program and I’m very impressed by both the literature itself and the delivery method! Thanks to PDOT for this slick and hopefully effective campaign.

• Scott Mizée April 23, 2007 at 10:05 am

I have friends in that zone… Can I have theirs? :) :) :)

• Aaron April 23, 2007 at 10:06 am

I live in Southeast and would absolutely want one. Just having them printed on cloth makes the map more durable, rainproof, and user friendly.
    Thanks to Dan and Jeff for the innovation and perseverence.

• edjukator April 23, 2007 at 10:14 am

we thought of this a couple of months ago as well – we were about to DIY’em and maybe give some out at bike events in town…

one DIY method would be to scan, and print on iron-on transfers… you ride bikes, think DIY… Buy one to support when they sell them… but don’t let that stop you by any means.

• pdx2wheel April 23, 2007 at 10:40 am

Covers my “territory” nicely. Might not cover my big melon though, but still too cool to pass up.

• Dan Bower April 23, 2007 at 10:47 am

Mr. Attornatus_Oregonensis

pardon my cryptic response…
    If you do live in the target area you’ll have several chances to order one (you probably already have)…watch your mailbox for our order form. We’re rolling this project out in phases, so if in the next few weeks you haven’t had the opportunity to order it, then either we’re not doing our job or you don’t actually live there!

• Jessica Roberts April 23, 2007 at 11:50 am

I will order seven as soon as they’re available. Perfect stocking stuffer, random handout to newbie bikers, stuff it in your bike bag and don’t worry about it getting wet…love it!

• greg April 23, 2007 at 12:16 pm

love it. want it. need it.

• Johnny April 23, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Can we get it made with NE on one side and SE on the other?

This would be a very handy accessory indeed!

• Cecil April 23, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Scott (re Post #11), I am sure you could probably work something out with your “in-zone” friends . . . (I know I just did with mine )

• Elljay April 23, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Maybe Commissioner Sam can authorize PDOT to make a batch for public sale, and put the proceeds toward a specific SE bike project. Kinda the bake-sale approach to gaining capital improvements.

• Attornatus_Oregonensis April 23, 2007 at 2:28 pm

“Excuse me, could you read my head so we can find the next turn? I think we’re somewhere over near my left temple.”

• true April 23, 2007 at 2:46 pm

I want one. My kid wants one. My cat wants one.

• Tomas Quinones April 23, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I can picture it now..

“I can’t see where I’m supposed to turn, the name of the street is obscured by a rather large booger!”

• Vous les Vous cherche... April 23, 2007 at 8:38 pm

They kinda of remind me of my Paris Bike map boxers and place mats. ;-0

I will send Jonathan a pic.

• Martha S. April 23, 2007 at 10:48 pm

Oh that’s lovely. Add me to the list of potential buyers.

• Joe April 24, 2007 at 5:01 pm

OMG I so need one of those bandanas!!