Advertise on BikePortland

Catching up with Ayleen Crotty of Filmed by Bike

Posted by on April 12th, 2007 at 12:36 am

Ayleen Crotty of Filmed by Bike
File photo: 4/11/07

You can’t go to far in Portland’s bike scene without running into Ayleen Crotty. She’s the spirit behind such beloved institutions as the Midnight Mystery Rides, the KBOO Bike Show, the Multnomah County Bike Fair and more.

And after this weekend she’ll be best known for her role in creating and promoting Filmed by Bike. Now in it’s fifth year, the fest has become a mainstay of the local scene and is gaining notoriety acclaim beyond Portland’s borders.

I caught up with Ayleen yesterday at her house in northeast Portland’s Woodlawn neighborhood, just before she biked off for an interview on OPB Radio.

The event has grown a lot in the last few years. How did it all start?

“Filmed by Bike started in 2003 when we were going to do the Multnomah County Bike Fair for the first time and we needed to raise money for permits. At that time Reverend Phil was doing some bike movies and we were starting to see other cities doing bike movies…and I just thought, what if we got them together? I worked at the CCC (Community Cycling Center) and we had some trick-riding videos, some Tour de France-type stuff, and I thought; let’s have a night when we put all that stuff on screen and hope we get a handful of people and who knows, maybe we’ll make a $100 bucks. Well, that first year I hoped for 40 people and we got 80 and the second year we moved to a bigger venue and every year we’ve doubled in size and every year we’ve sold out.”

I’ve heard this year you’ve got people coming from all over?

Filmed by Bike
Bob New and Timo Forsberg
at last year’s show.
File photo: 4/14/06

“Yep, Corvallis, Salem, Eugene, and two carloads from Vancouver (B.C) on Friday. And we always get a good crew from Seattle. There’s a nice Seattle/Filmed by Bike connection that goes on. Seattle really wants us to bring the festival up there, but I don’t know. The fest is not going on the road any time soon. That’s just too much work.”

What’s one film you’re particularly excited about this year?

“The kids from CAT (Center for Appropriate Transport) have made a movie about a group of teenagers and a kid named Will who makes freak bikes. They get together with these crazy bikes and ride to school, and all over town. They did a great job with their movie, the editing, everything is solid. They’re coming up for the all-ages show on Saturday. The best part about these kids is that they would not have made their movie if it weren’t for Filmed by Bike.”

I love that about your fest. It not only showcases bike movies, it encourages people to make them.

“Yes, definitely. There are lot’s of people out there making movies because they’re excited to get it in Filmed by Bike.”

The shows start Friday at Clinton Street Theater. Check out FilmedbyBike.org for all the details.

Unfortunately I can’t make it this year (I’ll be at the Oregon Bike Summit all weekend), so I hope some of you can fill me in on Monday.

Good luck Ayleen! And thanks for taking time to chat.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • revphil April 12, 2007 at 2:49 am

that is some hot interviewin’ action. Thanks for keeping the bike video embers stoked ayeleen. Im sure this FBB will be another barn burner.

• Ayleen April 12, 2007 at 5:18 am

ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?

Filmed by bike is going to be great this year. Get there early because Friday will sell out. But don’t worry, the people you’ll be in line with are some of the raddest bike people in Portland. Meet a new friend. And this year we’ve added an additioanl two days to make sure everyone gets to see bike movies.

Bring your dollars and enter our raffle for the Electra Amsterdam, or enter online (you don’t even need to attend the festival to win). We’ve also got all sorts of other hot prizes like custom flasks and flask holsters from Ahearne Cycles.

See you Friday!

• Anonymous April 12, 2007 at 9:33 am

“quickly gaining notoriety beyond Portland’s borders”

Sorry Jonathan, it’s the old English teacher in me. Notoriety is a bad thing.

no·to·ri·e·ty (nō’tə-rī’ĭ-tē)
    n. The quality or condition of being notorious; ill fame.

• Jonathan Maus April 12, 2007 at 9:42 am

my mistake. thanks for the lesson anonymous. I’ve edited the article.

• Dabby April 12, 2007 at 10:14 am

Sweet!

• Donald April 12, 2007 at 10:49 am

Ayleen,

Caught you on OPB last night. Great stuff!

Say, with the wee ‘uns and all, I can’t make it to the theatre. Any chance the festival will release a DVD of the films?

• Alison Hill April 12, 2007 at 10:51 am

Go, Ayleen!

I went to filmed by bike last year and was so amazed at the range of films, perspectives and enthusiasm!

Bikes symbolize so many things: freedom, creativity, community, individuality. This simple elegant tool is used to say so many things. I’m looking forward to this year. We’re going to try to make it back from the Bike Summit to see the Sunday evening show.

• Ayleen April 12, 2007 at 11:03 am

Hey Donald (and everyone else),

We sell a commemorative DVD through our website and at the event. There’s a special offer right now for pre-orders that ends tomorrow at 9am. Get em while they’re cheap!

• Donald April 12, 2007 at 11:07 am

D’oh!

RTFWS (read the freakin’ web site)

Thanks!

_DA

• el timito April 12, 2007 at 2:35 pm

I’ve been to all the Filmed By Bikes so far, and I’m not so sure that “notariety” was an inappropriate word. The $10 pedal-powered smoothies that first year sure were tasty…

• revphil April 14, 2007 at 2:55 pm

and the tendency for street reclamation is high

nice work volunteers and filmmakers… prime yourself for some sexy bike video action in June!

• Ayleen April 16, 2007 at 9:50 pm

Notoriety? I’ll take it.

Thanks to everyone who came out! I already can’t wait for next year.