Bishops Barbershop gives bike-friendly discount

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on January 31st, 2007 at 4:36 pm

Reader Isaac Harris just sent in word that Bishops Barbershop (3724 SE Hawthorne) is now offering a discount for hearty winter cyclists.

Show up with proof that you rode and you'll get 10% off (or $2) your haircut and "our infinite respect" says store manager Crystal Eppinger. She adds that the deal may not fly at all locations just yet.

Crystal says they started the deal at the onset of winter to reward all-season cyclists and because "Hawthorne is so congested, we want to encourage people to ride bikes."

I know $2 isn't a lot, but it's the thought that counts remember?

Bishops is locally owned and was established in 2001.

=======

After news last week of Black Sheep Bakery's bike-thru window, I'm beginning to think I should create a "Bike Friendly Business" directory.

Do you think that'd be a worthwhile resource?

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Ethan January 31, 2007 at 4:49 pm

We'll have to campaign for the same on NE Alberta. That location is the "mothership" after all.

• miroslav January 31, 2007 at 5:13 pm

A bike-friendly directory would be a great idea. Remember all the discussion a few months ago about drive/bike-thru's?

Editor: Here's the story miroslav refers to, Same roads, same rights, same access to fast food?

• Donna January 31, 2007 at 6:45 pm

"After news last week of Black Sheep Bakery’s bike-thru window, I’m beginning to think I should create a “Bike Friendly Business” directory.

Do you think that’d be a worthwhile resource?"

Oh, yes, yes, please do, Jonathan!

• Tom January 31, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Bike Friendly Business Directory
    -Check!

Recognition may create an incentive to businesses that are considering, or better yet never before considered, how they could be recognized as a Bike Friendly Business in Portland.
    What are the numbers like? How much of a new market could they reach by being Bike Friendly? What are the qualifications?
    Sorry...too much coffee today. Speaking of which, I wish there was more on-street bike parking at a lot of the businesses I frequent daily.

• Jonathan Maus January 31, 2007 at 7:07 pm

That's exactly what I'm thinking Tom.

Not just a good resource for cyclists...but a way to nudge businesses into joining the party!

It would be like the "Elder Friendly Business" program that Elders in Action does.

I've always wanted to have big "Bike Friendly Business" door stickers at local businesses.

• Hubster January 31, 2007 at 7:41 pm

hey, kudos to Bishops. But $20 haircuts? Now i know why i cut my own; of course, i get what i pay for...

• JeremyS January 31, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Another vote for the "bike-friendly business" list! Luckily I think there would already be a good list here....

• andy January 31, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Damn! If this had come up a week earlier, I would have pushed the "mothership" on Alberta to give me a couple bucks off...

That said, let's have a bike friendly list!

• Sam Livingston-Gray February 1, 2007 at 8:49 am

+1 for bike-friendly business list; I'd definitely refer to it for services I need.

• Cecil February 1, 2007 at 9:38 am

I have a Portland by Cycle "Short Tripper" coupon book with deals from bike friendly businesses - it expired last October - it was a cool thing - is there a new one?

• enginerd February 1, 2007 at 9:39 am

a Bike-friendly business list would be great! It might inspire business owners to do things like petition the city for on-street bike parking like on Mississippi (Duane...we could use one at Stumptown Division!)

Speaking of bike-friendly...what ever happened to the rumored Bikey Brewpub at the former Sunset Fuel site on Powell?

• Jonathan Maus February 1, 2007 at 9:41 am

Cecil,

that coupon book, if I'm not mistaking, was part of PDOT's SmartTrips program and is meant for residents living in a specific focus area.

they do focus on a different area each year so I suppose you could keep tracking down coupon books ;-).

• Jessica Roberts February 1, 2007 at 9:57 am

Yes, I've been thinking of a bike-friendly business recognition program ... I'm tired of businesses seeming to assume that ALL their customers arrive by car, and if we do anything that may happen to beautify the street or make it safer, it's opposed by businesses if it reduces parking or car lanes. I'd love to reward businesses who "get it."

Another idea I had: maybe we need to help cyclists BECOME business owners in order to gain support for complete, human-friendly business streets. Any bike-friendly bank out there that wants to put together a small business loan assistance program for cyclists??

• Cecil February 1, 2007 at 10:47 am

I checked PDOT's website and this year's SmartTrips focus sector is SE. Here's a link to the plan document. It looks like it will kick off in April and it lokks like there's lots of freebies for alternative transportation users - cool beans!

• Jonathan Maus February 1, 2007 at 11:33 am

Cecil,
    You must have missed when I posted about this last November.

;-).

• Cecil February 1, 2007 at 11:36 am

Whoops - well, that's what happens at my age - the short term memory is the first thing that goes. Well, not the first thing, but the first thing that I actually miss having :-)

• Jessica Roberts February 1, 2007 at 11:41 am

Southeast was two years ago; last year was Northeast. This year PDOT is doing two new SmartTrips (new name) projects: one in Sellwood and one downtown.

These projects reduce drive-alone trips by 9 to 14%. Amazing! Conventional wisdom says that more car traffic is as inevitable as death and taxes, but these great programs proved that wrong.

• Cecil February 1, 2007 at 12:56 pm

According to the comprehensive plan for 2007, the area to be served this tim around includes Ardenwald, Brentwood-Darlington, Brooklyn, Creston-Kenilworth, Eastmoreland, Reed, Sellwood-Moreland and Woodstock neighborhoods, with a Milwaukie adjunct.

The Downtown version appears to be in full-swing.

There is a pledge form that you can fill out and mail in re: reducing your own trips that will enter you into a drawing for free stuff, and there is a SmartTrips "goodie" form you can fill out to have various alternative transportation info and stuff delivered to your downtown workplace - along with a free Tri-Met daypass or a coupon for an entree at some chain faux-Mexican food place (your choice)

• Cecil February 1, 2007 at 12:58 pm

To clarify, I meant your choice of a bus pass or coupon, not your choice of which faux-Mexican food place. Not that there's really any difference between such places, but in this case the coupon happens to be for Qdoba.

• neckey February 2, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Hey, gotta support bike friendly biz, chain or no. Give Qdoba some cred for giving free entrees to encourage people to curb their cars.

• Dillon Klepetar August 29, 2007 at 11:19 am

Hey Guys,
    The bicycle directory is already going off nation-wide. If you\'d like to champion the program into the Portland you\'ll find everything you need to get started and the format and logistics have finally been completed after three years of hard work from my brothers and I. Check it out at http://www.bicyclebenefits.org