Get ready, here comes the Tour de Fat

Posted by on August 3rd, 2006 at 8:14 am

Tour de Fat: Portland, OR 8/6/05
[Red Bat sighting at
'05 Tour de Fat.]

It’s no easy task for an out-of-town group to come into Portland and throw a bike party that rivals our own…but the folks at New Belgium pull it off with their traveling cycling circus known as the Tour de Fat.

Last year’s event is still etched in my mind as one of the best things I did all year.

Even before I got drunk and danced like a fool, I reveled in the zany, costume-filled bike parade, was wowed by the Yard Dogs Road Show, and tested my bike skills (and my ego) in the mutant bike rodeo.

And to top it all off, the money raised at the event benefits the BTA and PUMP.

Tour de Fat: Portland, OR 8/6/05
[Showing the spirit at
last year's Tour de Fat.]

This year they’ll have a performance by the incomparable, internationally famous March Fourth Marching Band.

So mark your calendars for Saturday August 19th and make your way to Waterfront Park for a bike party you don’t want to miss. For full schedule and more details, check out the Portland page on their website.

For more of my photos from last year, check out the Tour de Fat ’05 gallery.

Comments
  • Evan Manvel, BTA August 3, 2006 at 8:33 am

Thanks for the plug. As Jonathan notes, the BTA benefits from this event — and we still need volunteers to help pour beer and other things. Volunteers get a free 18oz beer, too! Contact Michelle [at] bta4bikes [dot] org to sign up!

• Red Bat August 3, 2006 at 8:54 am

The Red Bat did indeed have a total blast at Tour de Fat last year – Great Beer, Bands, and Crazy Bikes. Do get there early to be in the parade (I assume they are doing that), Do drink beer (if over 21), dance, and watch the bands and entertainment acts, and do try out the crazy bike rodeo, that was my favorite – I got on every bike but a tall bike (swing, shoe, lawnmower…) And do leave mid afternoon to head up to SCRAP’s Iron Artist Competition (http://www.scrapaction.org)- as they will also have March Forth playing in the early eve, and lots of cool art buidling & community. As for myself, the Red Bat, I will not be sighted in Portland this weekend, as I will be conquering Mt. Hood by bike.

ps. and yes I did indeed witness the before mentioned drunk dancing by Mr. Maus

• Ryno DownHill August 3, 2006 at 9:32 am

Two Words-

Mountain BomB

• gabrielamadeus August 3, 2006 at 9:36 am

Arrrgh! What to do?

Tour de Fat, Iron Artist w/ sprockettes, and zoobomb Mountain Bomb all on the same day. Is it possible? I will try.

• vj August 18, 2006 at 2:11 pm

I might be the only one who doesn’t know this. But. Where does the parade start?

• Jonathan Maus August 18, 2006 at 2:17 pm

Hey vj,

The parade just leaves from the event…at Tom McCall Waterfront park!

• vj August 18, 2006 at 2:26 pm