Advertise on BikePortland

Goods BMX doing well on MLK

Posted by on May 18th, 2006 at 7:22 am

Goods BMX shop
[Owner Shad Johnson.]

The other day, while looking for the BMX Museum, I happened upon a new bike shop in Northeast Portland called Goods. Goods specializes in high-end BMX parts, frames, and clothing.

The shop was started about a year ago by 10-year Portland resident Shad Johnson. While Shad says there’s a great BMX scene in Portland, most of his sales come from his website at GoodsBMX.com.

In typical BMX’er fashion, I received the glaring stare-down by some too-cool shop regulars when I rolled up on my dorky road bike. They looked at me and said, “You must be looking for Cyclepath.” Cyclepath is a shop that sells custom road and mountain bikes and is in the same building as Goods.

Goods BMX shop
Goods BMX shop

Notable at the shop is the huge bizillion-inch big screen TV. I assumed it was for watching BMX videos until they pulled out the Playstation 2. I just love it when bike sub-cultures live up to their stereotypes!

If you’re into BMX and want to check out a really nice shop, stop into 2808 NE MLK Jr. BLVD. (Suite O) and pay Shad a visit. See the rest of my photos here.

NOTE: At BikePortland, we love your comments. We love them so much that we devote many hours every week to read them and make sure they are productive, inclusive, and supportive (heck, sometimes we even fix your typos!). That doesn't mean you can't disagree with someone. It means you must do it with tact and respect. This is our business and we do not tolerate mean commenters who add nothing of value to the discussion.

Unfortunately, we are not robots and we don't always catch everything. You can help by notifying us if you see inappropriate comments. Thanks! — Jonathan and Michael

Comments
  • West Cougar May 18, 2006 at 10:00 am

Ahh, sweet, sweet stereotypes. They’re funny ‘cuz they’re true.

• the hand May 18, 2006 at 10:11 am

i heard stevie really isn’t magic.

• that tall guy May 18, 2006 at 1:19 pm

If it were me, I would Dipset.

MAGIC IS KING!

• Tim May 18, 2006 at 1:37 pm

That’s a great shop and Shad’s a hell of a nice guy.

BMXers ride for fun, not as a form of political statement.

Don’t get me started on stereotyping the typical PDX cyclist.

• Jarrett May 18, 2006 at 3:07 pm

For some reason, the phrase ‘high-end BMX parts’ made me chuckle. Apparently there’s a whole world there I’ve never encountered.

Oh, and that Cyclepath blog sure is… never updated.

• magic May 22, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Duh, cyclists are wack. Bike riders are where it’s really at cuz! haha

• CyclePath May 24, 2006 at 11:43 am

Our luck in finding a trustworthy, efficient web designer has been a major fiasco. a few have been commissioned and been too busy to get it done in a reasonable time or fall down on the job. We now have a guy who’s taking care of building the site. So, within 2-3 weeks we should have a new Cycle Path website. stay tuned.

Bill