Portland Rock Gym loans U-locks

Posted by on March 30th, 2006 at 4:18 pm

rock gym bike rack

Portland Rock Gym has a cool little program to help keep their customer’s bikes safe. They have a big sign on their rack (see photo) that says “Cable locks are not secure”. Then, they take it a step further by loaning out U-locks to members that need one.

According to Yuval, the gym’s manager, they’ve had 2 or 3 bikes stolen recently and the club felt terrible that this happened on their property. He also added, “it’s not that expensive and it’s a good service to our customers.”

This company “gets it,” they take care of their customers and they encourage cycling by making their racks more secure. It would be great to see other businesses adopt this program (I can think of one in particular). For that matter, maybe the city should start putting “Cable locks not secure” on their blue staple racks.

Comments
  • MJ March 30, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Good idea.

Rock On! ;-)

• Paul S March 30, 2006 at 5:08 pm

They’ve been doing this for a while now. I think they suffered a rash of thefts shortly after opening in the new location.

I agree, it’s brilliant.

• Jessica Roberts March 30, 2006 at 5:30 pm

So cool! I just wrote them a note to say thanks.

• Roger J March 30, 2006 at 5:31 pm

A good friend of mine lost a bike there this fall, and I’ve had saddle bags and such stolen.

I am glad to see a more proactive thoughtful set of actions by these companies that say REI who acknowledges high theft rates but does little to nothing about it.

-r

• shannon March 30, 2006 at 5:54 pm

last summer, as i was riding into the Portland Rock Gym parking lot, i realized i had forgotten my trusty bike lock(!). man was I happy to see the sign announcing that the U-Locks were available. i was going to have to beg them to store my bike. it’s a great service for many reasons!

• mr.macadam March 31, 2006 at 10:26 am

PRG has always been a favorite …

• philevans April 1, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Fantastic!!
    As one of at least 5 victims of bike theft from in front of 24 Hour Fitness in the Pearl in just the past 8 weeks alone (see the stolen bike list and OBRA listserve), I think this is a fabulous idea.

After noticing the epidemic of thefts at 24 Hour Fitness, I have been trying hard to get management’s attention in the hopes that we could come up with exactly this kind of solution.

But, alas, apparently they don’t give a *#@*! or simply don’t think its their problem. I’ve left no less than 4 messages for their manager and they simply will not return my calls. It’s outrageous!

Hurray for PRG, they really do get it! I’m not a climber, but perhaps I’ll start!

• Ryan Aslett April 15, 2010 at 6:00 pm