Links you’ll love

Posted by on January 29th, 2006 at 2:50 pm

deller_squirrelhat
[5 squirrels = 1 hat]
  • Shaun Deller (Portland’s hipster cycling hat maker) has just unveiled his latest, the squirrel hat. Shaun says, “Don’t tell me you were never out for a ride and passed by a freshly roadkilled animal and thought ‘maybe I could make a hat from that hide?”
  • These amazing photos of a Toronto messenger and bike-hater going at it are buzzing around the web (thanks Ed and Drew).
  • Long time citizen bike advocate, Aaron Tarfmann wrote about his experience with the recent Burnside Bridge closure. And don’t miss this thread in the Forums for more on the topic.
  • The bike blog over at OregonLive.com has a new author, Peter LaPorte. Peter has been doing a great job and writes mostly about racing, which is a topic he knows well as a member of Team Bridge City.

Comments
  • Justa January 29, 2006 at 7:06 pm

yay for recycling.

• David January 29, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Those photos are extremely disturbing. This has happend more than once here in Portland. Bike messengers get a bad rap, when in fact most are respectful cyclists.

• andrew morton January 29, 2006 at 7:15 pm

I’m gonna drop a plug for an article we did in the last issue of BUI. Check out “Confronting a motorist” on page 25 of BUI #2.

• pdxrocket January 30, 2006 at 8:47 am

The squirrel hat has got to be the most gawd-awful thing I have ever witnessed. Yech!

• Chriss Pagani January 30, 2006 at 9:16 am

I wonder who decides the person to be declared hipster or cutting edge artist or whatever. I don’t mean on *here* but in general. It seems like the Emperor’s New Clothes most of the time. You’re supposed to see it if you are really cool. If you hate it, you must not be cool.

• pdxrocket January 30, 2006 at 11:10 am

Then I most certainly am NOT cool.

• andrew morton January 30, 2006 at 1:31 pm

you can’t hate on the squirrel hat. it’s recycling, they were already road kill ;)

• peter w January 30, 2006 at 3:07 pm

Andrew, I agree that it is recycling, but regardless I think there are a couple reasons to not wear a squirrel hat:

1) Other people who see you in passing won’t know it is recycling, and that no squirrels were harmed in the making of the hat. Wearing fur, whether faux or recycled, helps increase the fasion of fur – leading to more business for cruel companies that aren’t kind enough to “recycle”, like Shumachers.

2) Personally, I find it a little creepy – its like making a backpack out of your dead grandmother’s skin.

Anyway, Deller’s other hats are cool and I’d recommend them; I like mine.