Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on October 11th, 2005 at 9:16 am
Local bike advocate, volunteer and BTA employee Sara Stout has been on quite a roller coaster the last few days. Here’s how her stolen bike story unfolded:
- Her bike and gear were stolen from her home while she was sleeping only 30ft away!
- Sara mourns loss of bike: “Many thousands of miles we have traveled together.”
- Relief effort to get gear and bike donated (Sara has no other transportation) swings into action.
- Thief throws Sara’s bike and all her gear into the backyard of Brian in Irvington!
- He posts a “found bike” notice on Craigslist.
- I post the bike on my Stolen Bike Listings.
- Someone sees the “found bike” post and realizes it is the same bike they saw in my listing.
- Emails are exchanged.
- Brian posts a comment to the stolen bike listing with a phone number for Sara to call. He has her bike!
- I email Sara with the number.
- Sara calls Brian…he has found her bike and all of her gear! Rejoice!
- Sara makes plans to pick up the bike.
- Brian puts bike in his garage.
- Bike is re-stolen out of his garage!
- Brian is bummed.
- Sara is bummed.
- Thieves are happy.
I guess the happy ending is that Sara has cobbled together another bike and some gear to keep her rolling. Lock up your bikes folks! It seems like bike thieves are getting more and more brazen every day.
And please spread the word about the Stolen Bike Listings. This is already the second time (here’s the first) my listings have been part of a recovery. And remember to check the listings before buying a used bike.Email This Post